Friday, December 7, 2012

MOVIN ON UP... to the Mid-Levels!



Well we're movin on up, To the east side.     (west side actually)
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.     (33rd floor!)
We finally got a piece of the pie.     (more like cake... moon cake!)
Fish don't fry in the kitchen;     (only steamed...haha!)
Beans don't burn on the grill.     (no more grill)
Took a whole lotta trying'     (and crying...)
Just to get up that hill.      (thank God for that Escalator!)
Now we're up in the big leagues     (Mid-Levels, that is)
Gettin' our turn to bat.     (with room to swing a bat!)
As long as we live, it's you and me baby
There ain't nothing wrong with that.
We're movin on up.
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
MOVIN ON UP!!!!!!

After months of spending weekends with my realtors in search of the perfect flat, I finally found it!  Actually, I found it last April, but I couldn’t move in April.  My realtors consisted of Miki and her protégée Dillon.  Dillon was by my side for all showings because Miki didn’t speak English.  She was super knowledgeable of Hong Kong real estate and Dillon was super at speaking English!  It worked out perfect. 

At the beginning (last March) Dillon was pretty much the only person in Hong Kong that I got to speak too.  In fact, as a result of this past year, you could say Dillon has become a friend.  They say no one knows you better than your hairdresser, but I think the same is true for your realtor.  Dillon learned real quick what I didn’t like!  As for what I liked, well... that took a little longer.   In the states your realtor drives you from place to place.  Well, in HK you walk!  Mainly, because you’re not covering a lot of ground.  The first day we looked at over 20 flats and took a taxi to only one of them.  All the others were within a few blocks of each other.  You can spend hours in one building.  You may hate flat 29/D, but go up one floor and absolutely love flat 30/D!  In most buildings, every unit is completely unique and individually designed.   I loved seeing different takes on the same floor plan.  For those that know me, you know how much I enjoyed this.    It was like watching HGTV’s International House Hunters LIVE!  It was awesome and extremely educational. 

There were flats Dillon would open the door to and I would immediately say, "okay… next?".  He would say, "we came all this way, don’t you at least want to enter and look around?".  I would end up saying some smart-ass comment like, "not unless this flat enters into the coat closet", or “do you see that tile???”, or his personal favorite- “TOO white”.  I don’t know why, but for some reason landlords think white walls and white marble floors are pretty.  Well, it aint!  On the flip side, there were several that had views that took your breath away and some of the clubhouses rivaled with 5-Star hotels.  One thing for sure, Hong Kong has some pretty amazing homes... and everyone of them comes with a pretty amazing price tag too!  

Closing and who pays what is very different than in the states.  The leaser or buyer pays for stamp duty (a pre-calculated tax rate paid to the Inland Revenue Department (HK’s IRS)), all Legal fees, and half the Agent’s commission (non-negotiable 1%) .  The seller or landlord pays the other half of the Agent’s commission.  

My new flat iss around 1,500 sq. ft., 3 bedrooms, two full bathrooms (master has separate soaking tube and shower) plus maid’s quarters with bathroom off the kitchen.   I looked for almost one full year and I never came across the two things this flat has… a walk-in closet and CENTRAL AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You have no idea how happy that makes me!  Not to mention a full size refrigerator (BTW- If your child’s Barbie and Ken Mansion is missing it’s refrigerator, it’s in my old flat... you can take my word on that).  It doesn't have a balcony, which is fine by me.  After having a balcony this past year, I learned it's just a money pit.  I couldn't have a balcony without plants and I couldn't keep plants alive in this heat.  

Here are a few pictures of my new home.  Still need to install new lights, blinds and drapes, but here it is today...




I'll start with the greatest room in the flat... the Master Bedroom!
I have room for real night stands again!


Followed by the second greatest room... the walk-in closet!


Living Room 


Hall-way to the Study, Guest Room and Bath.  Oh, that door at the end of the hall-way is ...
 a CLOSET!!  (sooo not normal here)


Dining Room


Guest Room




The view from the Kitchen sink.


But the best view in the whole flat is from the Maids Room
 (AKA- Grayson and Lily's Room)


33 floors up!  MOVIN ON UP!
I just signed the documents, got the keys and now having a coffee at my new little cafe just around the corner from my new flat.   Charming, right?  Where have I been??? LOL!

I love the Mid-Levels!!!