Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hong Kong's Public Transportation


It’s funny, in the states I couldn’t imagine life without a car and here I can’t imagine having one.  There are times I miss having a car, but I hear the hassle of having one out weighs the perks.  And with all the public transportation options, I don’t really feel immobile. 

Mid-Level Escalator:
For those of you that know me well, will sympathies with my next sentence.  Hong Kong Island is dominated by steep, hilly terrain, which requires for some rather unusual methods of transportation up and down the steep slopes.  Through the center of Hong Kong is one of my favorite methods (depending on time of day), simply known as the “escalator”.  Hong Kong has the world’s longest outdoor escalator traveling over 2,600 feet from start to finish and elevating over 440 feet (that’s like going up 44 floors of a high-rise).  I’m sure you’re thinking Ken isn’t great with things that move, especially things that move Ken!  However, when I have the opportunity to be mobile without effort- I’m all over that!  While traveling up the escalator you’ll pass over some of my favorite areas of the city.  Areas like Central (city center at waterfront), Noho (area north of Hollywood Rd.), Soho (area south of Hollywood Rd), and the Mid-Levels (at the top where the escalator ends).  

Interesting Escalator Facts:
  • Total travel time from bottom to top takes 30 minutes
  • Built in 1993
  • 80,000 travelers daily
  • Consist of 20 escalators and 3 moving sidewalks
  • Runs daily downhill from 6am to 10am
  • Runs daily uphill from 10:30 am to midnight
  • You can exit and enter on each road it passes.

Helpful Hints:
  • If raining, don’t wear slippery shoes.
  • Be prepared to fall, IT WILL HAPPEN!
  • Standing is only allowed on the right side, leaving the left side open for walkers.
  • Don’t text!  When the escalator stops, so do you!
  • Once you arrive at your level, make sure to move out of the way for others to exit.  May seem to be common sense, but not always the case.  



MTR (Mass Transit Railway)
When I lived in Chicago I used the Metra railways to get around.  In Chicago the rails are above ground with windows, but the MTR runs underground with no outside views.  I can get on the MTR just around the corner from my flat, ride into Central, go to the gym, grab a coffee at Starbucks, get back on the MTR going under the harbor ending near my office, and never go outside or see any views of the outdoors.  Now, don’t get me wrong, not seeing the outdoors means you don’t feel the outdoors.   

Even though I used the Metro in Chicago, the MTR and the pace in which people move in Hong Kong, can be a little intimidating. But the MTR could not be easier to manager, safer or more reliable.  It’s the only transportation method that is always running and always consistent.  I can leave home and be in Central in 7 minutes, anytime day or night.  And for only .59 US cents, you can’t beat it!  It’s true a taxi for that same route will only cost you a little over $3.00 US, but depending on traffic could take 15-30 minutes. 
There are 10 rail lines and hundreds of stops, but with the help of my IPhone app, I can plug in my current location, where I want to go and the app will guide me step by step.  Although the MTR is very reliable, you never know what the crowd will be like until you’re right smack in the middle of it.  The local people in HK have no concept of “personal space”.  After now living here, I understand why… there’s no space!  

Interesting MTR facts:
  • Opened in 1979
  • 4.6 million travelers daily
  • System includes 131 miles of rail
  • 155 stations
  • Over 4 million trips made daily

Interesting Ken Fact’s:
  • You may think you’re in a hurry, but you’re not.
  • Don’t be the first person off the train, unless you have a plan.
  • The Octopus Card is your best friend.
  • The Octopus Card auto-drafting from your checking account- even better!  







Trams
The most environmentally friendly means of public transpiration, the Tram is also the island's original.  At over 100 years old, it is the only tram system in the world operating exclusively with double-decker cars, and is one on only three tram systems in the world that use double-decker cars.  Personally, I find walking faster and not tall-people friendly (I can't stand inside the tram, which I forget ALL THE TIME).   The Party Tram (bottom left image) can be reserved for private events.  Personal experience suggests a warning... drinking beer all night on a moving tram without a restroom can be challenging.