Monday, June 24, 2013

Best Mexican Food... According to Hong Kong



Put a bowl of warm salty chips, a skillet of spicy chili con queso and a cold mambo taxi in front of me and I'm a happy man!  It doesn't matter if it's Taco Bell or La Duni back in Dallas, I can eat my weight in Mexican food!

I never thought there could be such a thing as bad Mexican food, but then I moved to Hong Kong and the unthinkable happened.  I found bad Mexican food.  BUT things are changing!!  Today I can safely say we have several great options for Mexican food in the city.


Here are a few of my favorites!  But first...




Although it may seem impossible to believe, take my word-- down an alley full of hand-bags, umbrellas and old air-conditioning exhaust vents, you'll find my top pick for great authentic Mexican food...    I promise!


Brickhouse   (Authentic Mexico City Food)

Brickhouse
G/F. 20A D’Aguilar Street,
Lan Kwai Fong, Hong Kong
Monday-Wednesday 6pm-2am, Thursday-Saturday 6pm-4am
Closed on Sundays 

The first time I went to Brickhouse I spent a good 15-20 minutes walking up and down the street with one eye trying to locate street numbers while the other stared at google maps on my phone.  Finally, at the end of a narrow dark alley, past a huge exhaust vent and several old window unit air conditioners, I found Brickhouse.  It's tiny, it's cramped and it's AMAZING!  With dishes like ... Rojas Con Crema, Fresh Griddled Flour Tortillas, Mexican Style Street Corn, Queso Fundito, Home Beet Fries, Leg of Goat Barbacoa Tacos (you heard me... goat!), Sunday Roasted Chicken ... it's no wonder I love this place.  If it weren't for the alley entrance, I'd swear I was in Mexico City.  


Socialito   (Mexican-American Food
OUT OF BUSINESS (Updated 2014)

Socialito 

G/F, 60 Wyndham Street,
Central, Hong Kong
Monday-Saturday 12pm-11pm
Closed on Sundays

As a native Texan now living in Hong Kong, when I want great Mexican food (like the Big D serves up), there's only one place to to go... Socialito!  

Socialito is a taqueria (open to street taco shop).  When they first opened, they had a traditional style restaurant which you entered just to the side of the taco stand.  The restaurant didn't win the hearts of Hong Kongers, but the taco stand was a hit!  Personally, I never cared for the inside space anyway (I need to see outside when I eat, and they had no windows!), so the taco stand has always been my pick.  Even though it's a walk-up counter, the menu deliveries as much excitement as the flavors found in the food.  Socialito is my comfort spot for a taste of home.  It's like having a little slice Texas right here!


Mr. Taco Truck   (Tex-Mex Fast Food)


Mr. Taco Truck
G/F, 14-15 Wo On Lane
Lan Kwai Fong, Central
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-10pm
Friday 12pm-midnight
Closed on Sundays

Mr. T has been one of my staples for fresh, affordable Tex-Mex since moving here.  Hong Kong definitely lacks easy, good quality, well priced food, but Mr. Taco Truck (near the end of Wo On Lane in Lan Kwai Fong) definitely delivers.  The reviews on this place have been mixed, but for me I find the service friendly, food consistently good and prices unbeatable.  So, before you go and slam the place for not meeting 4-Star expectations, remember one thing… it’s called MR. TACO TRUCK people!  A place that accepts the Octopus card should not be compared with places like Chicha or Brickhouse.  This is fast food at its finest.


Café Iguana   (Tex-Cali-Mexican Food)

Cafe Iguana
Roof Level, Elements,
1 Austin Road West (Kowloon Station)
Tsim Sha Tsui
Monday-Sunday 11:30am-1am

If your idea of a lazy Saturday afternoon involves sitting outdoors with a pitcher of margaritas and a huge plate of nachos, then feel free to join me at Café Iguana!  With over a hundred Tequilas to choose from (seriously, the tequila list is longer than most bar’s drink menus!), the bartenders at Café Iguana guarantee to make your hectic week quickly and simply drift away.  That being said, I suggest you request for a taxi to pick you up on the roof level near the restaurant, when ready to go home.  Having to walk downstairs through Elements Mall, all liquored up, past Hugo Boss and Burberry, is not what makes a good combination!

Muy Bueno Hong Kong!