Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Texas State Fair in Hong Kong?


It’s happened.  

The day I thought would never come.  

I’m gaining weight in Hong Kong people!!  Despite the long daily walking commutes to and from… everywhere, my pants are beginning to get tight.  But only when buttoned.  


As for fast food in Hong Kong, we only have McDonald's and KFC (I know, I know- if I can only have two, those are pretty good options), but I rarely go to them.  For starters, they’re not convenient and when you do find one the distance from the street sign to the actual counter involves a few dozen steep stairs leading down to a basement. (BTW- Have I mentioned I can't eat without a window nearby? Yeah… I know.)

So, without fast food windows how am I gaining weight?  Well, it could be this...




The little Hong Kong tea cafe I was at calls it French toast (I think- I didn’t order it myself), but after further research I learned some places call it western toast.  I call it HOT! (Heaven On Toast)  It’s made by deep-frying stacked bread dipped in beaten eggs and soy sauce, topped with a slab of real butter and golden maple syrup.  The best part… wait for it… wait for it… between the stacked bread is a thick spread of peanut butter!!!!!  I don't normally dance in public, but...  I have never seen maple syrup served anywhere in Asia before, so when I first saw my plate and smelled the sweet smell of maple I was shocked.  And even more shocking, the waitress (my new best friend) brought a little craft of syrup and placed it next to my plate!  I'll admit, my Saturday was MADE at that moment, but when I cut into my heavenly toast and discovered warm peanut butter too, well, I almost had to go outside for fresh air or hug my new best friend…    

BUT I HAD SYRUP AND PEANUT BUTTER AND FRIED ON MY PLATE!!  

I wasn’t going anywhere!  The only thing I said after that was, “please order milk!”

After my discovery of this dish, I was telling a friend about HOT and he said it’s ashamed I can’t order it myself (it’s all Cantonese at those kinds of places), but before the sadness completely overcame me, I realized I took a picture of it with my phone!!  That’s right, I have it on my phone!!  I HAVE IT ON MY PHONE!!!!!! 

All I have to do is show the picture to the waitress and I get HOT!  Deep Fried Peanut Butter Sandwich (BTW- best five word combination ever!!)

Eat your heart out Texas State Fair!