Saturday, July 6, 2013

Bangkok Get-A-Way

A group of friends and I stayed at the Swissotel
(Not my favorite Bangkok hotel, but for the price we could go monthly!)

I just returned from a weekend get-a-way in Bangkok, and as usual it was fantastic.  But this time, I finally got off my lazy pool ass, put down my Mai Tai and visited the Grand Palace!  Finally... ! 






















Out of respect, you should wear long pants inside the Grand Palace.  However, Ken... in pants... in Bangkok... do not happen!  But no worries, I was able to buy a pair of light weight pants at the main gate, which explains this lovely print and stripe combo pictured above.  Ladies in tanks and sleeveless tops are also expected to cover with a sarong which can be found near the gates as well.  My suggestion, dress comfortably because you will be HOT!  Buy the cheap cover-ups and toss them when you're done.  I do not suggest wearing pants the entire day!  

The Grand Palace couldn't have been more enjoyable, unless I could've bought a portable air conditioner... and hired a person to carry it... and have that person follow me... everywhere.  But, there was a breeze and little wind chimes everywhere.  The sound of the chimes, the breathtaking mosaics and gold leaf, being in Thailand... it really was a great excursion. I was overwhelmed with peace.  


I also made it over to the Wat Phra Chettuphon Winom Mangkhlaram Ratchaworamahawihan.  Also known as The Temple of the Reclining Buddha, is the oldest and largest Buddhist temple in Bangkok.  It is home to more Buddha images than any other  Bangkok temple.  Not to mention the largest Buddha statue in Thailand (160 feet long, 49 feet tall and covered in gold). 

The temple of the reclining Buddha is the birthplace of traditional Thai massage.  Even prior to the temple's founding, the site was a center of education for traditional Thai medicine, and statues were created outside showing yoga positions.  In 1962 a school of traditional medicines and massage was established.  You may think if you have seen one temple, you've seen them all.  Wrong!  This temple has signs that say "Massages this way".  I know!!  











For more information on Bangkok, check out my Bangkok post!