Monday, July 8, 2013

A typical Sunday afternoon... with MONKEYS!


Over the weekend I attended a funeral in New Territories, which is near the China boarder.  Getting there consisted of taking a taxi through the cross harbor tunnel to Hung Hom (BTW I'm the only person I know that pronounces Hung Hom correctly... just saying!) train station in Kowloon.  Then we boarded a train to Tai Wai, where we then boarded a shuttle bus to the the funeral home.  As is the case with me most every day, I was hot and sweaty.  Just about the time I finished redirecting every air vent on the bus, I look out and see a family of monkeys blocking the road before us.  Monkeys!!  They seemed friendly and absolutely adorable, but I couldn't help but feel my opinion was not shared by ANYONE else on the shuttle bus.  I guess I can't blame them, I don't normally like wild animals myself.  I have physically been chased off islands by iguanas, have had monkeys throw tree branches at me while on hikes, and although I obviously haven't been killed by squirrels (... yet), does not mean they haven't taken a few years off my life.  But I have to admit, the protection of the bus made me feel safe and even a little fearless!  

I couldn't capture any pictures before we sped off, but I found these images online that were taken near the same location.


Don't they look cute?

Once I arrived at the funeral home,  I soooo wanted to run down the street to see the monkeys up close, but I was strongly discouraged.  While waiting for the elevator, I noticed these warning signs...




I'm sure the hand written charactors say something like... RUN. LIKE. HELL!  


The monkeys I saw looked NOTHING like this one!

Who knew loud music would cause them to make that face!  Just another difference between life in Hong Kong vs. Dallas.