Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Challenge...

One of the many great things living in Hong Kong has done for me, and there are several, is it has taught me to live past my normal limits.  Having just experienced my first year in Hong Kong, I've been discovering (addicted is more like it) other expats blogs.  Reading their daily experiences has helped me see that I am normal (no comment!), and that moving anywhere takes getting used to.  I love living in Hong Kong and feel so grateful for these experiences.  I have always taken pride in being pretty optimistic and open minded, but at times I just want things to be easy again.

Below is a post from one of the blogs I have been reading.  It explains how I feel some days.


Breakfast for Dinner

As I was walking to the grocery store tonight, I was thinking just how much my life has changed in the past four months. Things are different. Little things...like: driving, grocery shopping, quiet streets, neighborhood get-togethers, walks with the dog. Most of these things I mentioned are ones I miss. I miss driving more than I thought. Getting in the car, putting on a good CD or listening to the morning shows. I haven't listened to a radio station since August, and Pandora doesn't exist in Hong Kong. I miss quiet walks with Dudley around the neighborhood. I miss picking up the phone whenever I want to talk to my friends.  I miss that. I miss Chick-Fil-A. Alot.

I love our life over here, and this isn't a pity party. I thought about the things I miss when going to the grocery store tonight...

This evening, I went to 2 grocery stores looking for chicken sausage (which I know they have). There was no chicken sausage. In either store. I refuse to buy the meat in the Welcome or Park-N-Shop because it scares me. SO, tonight we're having breakfast for dinner because I didn't feel like walking 30 minutes to the big grocery store. Eggo waffles and eggs it is.

As you drive to the Teeter today, and see a dozen varieties of chicken sausages...think of me. :) 

So, I have a challenge for you...

Do something today that makes you feel uncomfortable.  Take a bus ride, walk down a street on the other side of the tracks.  Walk to lunch tomorrow from your office, don't drive.  Go inside a place you'd never normally step foot into.  Listen to a foreign radio or TV station for a full day, have that be the background to your day.  Whatever it is for you, I challenge you to get out of your comfort zone for a day.  Let me know what you did.


You may learn something about yourself you knew nothing about.