Monday, December 9, 2013

How to make a Christmas Tree:



This is NOT a post on how to actually make your own Christmas tree.  Sorry if your Google search brought you here by mistake.  Maybe it's my fault for naming this post "how to make", rather than "how one is made".  But not knowing exactly who will read this, I feel keeping the audience open is best.  You may own a factory in China.  How do I know these things?  

I develop stuff.  Lots of stuff.  I'm currently working on a post that covers some of the products I design, develop and source.  But because it's Christmas, and so many of you just finished pulling out your artificial trees (which are fare better for the environment than real trees).  I thought I would show how they are made.  Still interested?  Being in product development, when I see something that catches my eye, my first thought is always, "how was it made?"  The first time I visited a tree factory, I was amazed at the process.  Even today, after years of being in this industry, I still believe the magic and wonder of a Christmas tree takes birth in the factory, from the moment the first pine needle is formed.  [tissue please]  

Most artificial Christmas trees are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or polyethylene (PE).  If you have an artificial tree, chances are it's made of PVC.  Since the majority of PVC pine needle manufacturing is done with robotics and machines, trees made of PVC are the most affordable option in the market place today.  Trees made of PE are made by taking live tree branches and creating molds, which are injected with PE.  The end product looks and feels more realistic, but the production is mainly done by hand.  Which means PE trees are the most expensive option on the market, but definitely worth it.  Not only do they look better, they are better.  PVC plastic contains high levels of lead, where PE plastic has very little.  Oh my God are you bored yet?  I'm still here [in my element].   Sorry about that.


PE production is kind of slow and boring (unlike this post, right…???), so I'm only going to show how PVC trees are made.  In order to make the branches look realistic, the PVC is died into several shades of green and brown.  The more shades, the more expensive.  In this case, I used three shades of green and two shades of brown (for the wood branch detail), and two different widths.  Here's a look at the machine.  




Here's a look at the different colors and widths of the PVC strips.  [side note: In addition to this matte finish, you can use polished PVC (in any color) to create a tinsel look.  See end of post for pictures.]


Left to Right: All the strips come together, stacked and a wire is added.  If you look closely, you can see the wire indention on the right side, but not on the left.  
Amazing, right??  


Left to Right: The strips are then cut perpendicular to the wire, creating the pine needles.  
The machine then spins the stacked cut PVC, which secures it to the wire.


High pressure air blows and fluffs the needles into a realistic look.




And there you go, Magic and Wonder


Here's a video to further explain the process.





The 20 foot strips are then cut into 4 to 6 inch strips that will later be used to form branches.  



[BTW in case you're wondering, yes, the boy in this video is under legal age.  School was out the week I visited this factory and I was told this boy wanted to help and be with his parents.  In my opinion, those skilled muscles weren't formed in ONE WEEK!  After a very long dispute, this boy was pulled from the production line.  At least for the duration of my visit.]

So there you have it.  Once the pieces are cut, they are then attached by hand to tree branches.  On this day, we were making Christmas wreaths, not a tree, but I think you get the idea.  

Below you can see the branches being wrapped around a wire, then applied to a wire frame forming a 24" wreath.  







I left out a few steps, but I hope you get the general idea.  If you don't, and you still aren't bored, let me know.  I'd be happy to go into more detail.  Promise.  

If the forest green pine isn't to your liking, the same process can be done with shinny polished PVC.  Here I am in another factory making a collapsable tinsil Christmas tree. 







This factory is located in a little teeny tiny village called Huidong Baihua (I'm amazed it has a name), just outside Huizhou, which is just outside Guangdong Province, which is just outside Guangzhou, which is in China.  The factory making the green wreath at the beginning of post, was located just outside the van I was in that day.

[Ken note: The factory owner is in the dress and the two ladies on either side of me are my assistants, translators, handlers, read food menus to me, keep me hydrated, check me into my hotel each night, and most importantly think ALL my ideas are absolutely amazing!  Without them I would be hunger and homeless and have no one to talk to.  Without me, they would be wearing the wrong shoes EVERYDAY.  I no longer work with them, but they were the best!]


Merry Christmas!