Friday, December 13, 2013

Nutcrackers 101


No matter what the product, when we hear the term "made by hand", or "handmade", or "handcrafted", we typically equate that to better value or high end products.  But in most cases, handmade doesn't automatically mean expensive.  Take these nutcrackers, they retail for US$9.99 and are 100% handcrafted.   

I took these images a while back, as I conducted a factory quality inspection audit for a big box US retailer.  And since it's Christmas and all, I thought I would share how Nutcrackers are made.  The answer, very patiently!  These talented individuals specialize in manufacturing handcrafted nutcrackers.  Due to a late issued purchase order, they had less than one month to produce over 450,000 nutcrackers.  What did you do last month?    


Makes you think twice before complaining about how your job seems 
so monotonous or tedious, right?


Each worker is responsible for one task, such as painting the arms, or adding sequins or painting accent trim.  As I walked around the production line, it was clear this guy clearly was the envy of all other workers.  He got to assemble all the parts together and the last person to touch the nutcracker before packaging and labeling.    



I think I would go postal at about 9:32am, if I had to do this all day.


I accidentally distracted this lady why taping this video.


GRA's (Glitter Related Accidents) are no laughing matter.  
Imagine being this guy and suddenly have an itch in your eye!  Yikes!   


The next time you look at a Nutcracker… 
take a real look and remember, it was made by hand.

This is a group picture with the factory management and owners,
as we were leaving the Nutcracker factory.
They made my favorite green bean dish for lunch.  Super nice people!

Merry Christmas!